4.16.2011

Flowers Across the Way

They whistle in the wind, and bask in the sun.
Some vibrant, some so graceful, I gaze because it’s fun.
I’ve seen them there before, my gaze sometimes tired.
I’ve looked away, a coward scared of what I desired.

But now my eyes are fixed, swaying not at all.
As I exude a plan toward them; savvy, smart, and small.
It needn’t be complex, for they are just across the way.
It needn’t be too simple, for I’m human still today.

I mustn’t turn sideways; then my gaze will not be firm.
I mustn’t play by ear; encouraging courage to squirm.
I mustn’t run too quickly; I could lose my brawny traction.
I mustn’t sneak upon them; I’ll be inept of satisfaction.

No, I must take each step as steady as I took the other.
I must keep my heart and mind in sync with one another.
I must breathe in deep, letting breath out as needed.
I must keep my dream in sight, until by flowers I am greeted.


by Lisa Jenae Steed
Copyright ©2011

1 comment: